Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Veggie Stew

So I had a plethora of veggies and wanted to use them before they had a chance to go bad. After a bit of thinking I decided on a Veggie Stew! I know it's hot out and I'm eating more cold veggies, but my back was hurting and I wanted comfort food. I have these wonderful scissors that I use when doing prep work. They seperate so I can wash them thoroughly. I used them when I want to make a chiffonade of Spinach or Herbs, I can cut Chicken with them and sometimes for dicing/slicing some thinner veggies. Tonight I used them for cutting my Green Onions and Celery as well as the baby Bok Choy and even dicing up the small bell peppers.

Veggie Stew:

1 Tblsp - Olive Oil
12 Green Onions - diced
5 stalks of Celery - sliced thin
1 cup of julienned carrots
12 baby Bok Choy (About 4 leaves and the stems in each bundle) sliced thin
4 - small Red & Yellow Bell Peppers - seeded, sliced thin and diced up
1/4 head of Cabbage Sliced thin
1 large Zucchini - Cleaned, Peeled and cut up
1 Large Summer Squash - Cleaned, Peeled and Cut Up
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro (Fresh)
1 - Can of Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tblsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Paprika
dash of black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tblsp Corn Starch (or Arrowroot)

I sliced the Zucchini into 1/2 rounds and then 1/4 each round.

In my 5 Quart Casserole I put the oil and onion first on medium heat. I slowly added the Carrots, Celery, Bok Choy, Peppers, Cabbage and finally the Squashes, Cilantro, Canned Tomatoes & Seasonings. I covered and let cook slowly for 30 minutes. When everything was cooked tender I added the Starch (Arrowroot) to a small amount of water and stirred to disolve. Then I added it slowly to the Veggies and stirred gently but thoroughly to mix the Starch into the hot liquid and allowed to thicken.

I served this over Noodles beside some very nice Rib Eye Steaks.

This was so good and will make a good side for Chicken tomorrow too.

1 comment:

  1. On my list to make! Come visit me on
    http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete