Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Eggrolls & Cole Slaw!

I love making eggrolls, but how I hate the prep work. LOL Tonight, Richard wanted Cole Slaw. I bought  head of cabbage last night that could double as a bowling ball. We are talking HUGE! So I saw a reason to do prep for my Eggrolls and at the same time make him his Cole Slaw! A much healthier Slaw at that because it isn't just cabbage and carrots this time. So here is the recipe for the veggies I use in my Eggrolls which I divided and made the Slaw with also.

Eggrolls

Ground Chicken/Pork or Beef
1/2 head Cabbage
1/2 bag Baby Carrots
1/2 bag of Broccoli Slaw
1 yellow Bell Pepper
12 Green Onions (Green tops only)
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
1 Tblsp -Cumin
1/2 Tblsp - Chili Powder
1 Tblsp - Onion Powder
2 Tblsp - Garlic Powder
2 Tblsp - Parsley

1 package of Eggroll Wrappers

I clean and cut up into small wedges the Cabbage and the Bell Pepper. In small batches I run them through the Ninja Food Processor pulsing around 8 times, and pour into mixing bowl. Then I run the Broccoli Slaw, Carrots, Green Onion Tops & Cilantro through, also in small batches until all done. I add the spices and stir completely.

I then set out the wrappers, with a damp paper towel over them to keep moist. Get a cookie tray and lightly grease it, a large plate and a bowl with water.

Peal off a wrapper from the stack, and lay on the plate. Lightly dip fingers in water and moisten the edges of the wrapper. This activates the corn starch on the surface of each wrapper and creates the "glue" that holds them together when rolled up.

Put a regular spoon level amount of ground meat and another of the veggie mixture across the wrapper, about 1/2 inch from one end.

Bring the end over the top of the mixture and give a slight roll, fold either side up onto the roll and brush with damp finger tips and finish rolling to the end.

You will have a nice thick roll and with a bit more water on fingers you seal the outside edge. Place edge down onto the cookie sheet and repeat until you have used up the wrappers. I think it's 20 wrappers in the package.

(Normally there is some meat left over and a lot of the veggie mix. I add a small amount of the veggies mix to the meat and make patties for a future meal.)

(What is left of the Veggie mixture I then add Marzetti Slaw Dressing to and Richard has an extra good slaw for the week.)

In a Wok I heat oil over medium high heat. In small batches of 4 or 5 I cook the eggrolls turning occasionally to ensure even cooking.

 If you have a rack that fits in your wok, you can set the cooked rolls on it to drain before moving to the serving dish. I don't have that rack, so I put a couple paper towels on a plate and let drain that way and lightly salt them as I take them out of the Wok. I use Hawaiian Sea Salt because I like the flavor.

This makes 20 Eggrolls. Dip in what ever sauce you prefer. I like Teriaki or Duck Sauce. Last time I used a Plum Sauce which is a bit spicy but really good. This round we had Sweet Mango Chutney and the Cucumber Salad that I also prepped last night.





Cole Slaw

As noted above:
Take Veggie Mix of Cabbage, Carrots, Cilantro, Broccoli Slaw, Green Onion & Yellow Bell Pepper
Add Marzetti Slaw Dressing to taste. (Some like a wetter slaw, others not so much.)
I like to add a Teaspoon of Fennel or Caraway Seeds also.


This is a very healthy and veggie laden slaw! If you want to go even lower calorie you can make it with Vinegar instead of the Marzetti. If you do, add a packet of Stevia to sweeten the Vinegar. I would go with a good Apple Cider Vinegar for the best flavor. Made this way it is pretty much a freebie on most diet plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment