Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Friday, June 22, 2012

A New Twist on my Mac and Cheese

A few weeks ago I saw an episode of Dr Oz where they made a Mac n' Cheese with Cauliflower. Only of course they used cow's milk products. Around the same time I saw 2 different shows make a Cauliflower Popcorn or Toasted Cauliflower. (Depending on who gave the recipe.) So I decided to combine the Cauliflower Popcorn with my recipe for Mac n' Cheese made my way. I found the recipe through Pintarest for the Curried Cauliflower Popcorn. So here is my variation:

Curried Cauliflower Mac n' Cheese

1 Medium Head of Cauliflower
1 1/2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1 Tblsp crushed Italian Seasoning

2 Tblsp  Goat Milk Butter
1 cup Skim Goat Milk
1/2 Cup Skim Goat Milk
4 Tblsp Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup Chevre Cheese (I had a honey Chevre, that bit of sweet was heaven with the curry)
1 cup shredded Goat Chedder
1 cup Shredded Manchego Cheese
1 1/2 cup Brown Rice Pasta (Spirals)
1 cup frozen peas
1 Tblsp Curry Powder

First I washed and cored the Cauliflower. Then I cut the florets into small bite size pieces.
In a large ziplock bag, I put the 1 1/2 Tblsp Olive Oil, 1/4 tsp Salt, 1/2 tsp Curry Powder & 1 Tblsp crushed Italian Seasoning. I added all the Cauliflower Florets and zipped the bag closed and shook to coat thoroughly.

I then placed the Florets out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes at 475 degrees. Stir every 6-7 minutes until the Cauliflower is browned in spots and is crisp tender.

While the Florets are cooking I started the cheese sauce and the noodles. In a medium pot boil water for the noodles and add when it comes to a full boil.  Cook the pasta til tender. I put the cup of Green peas in the strainer. I let the hot water from the pasta heat them up. Run hot water over the top of the drained pasta to help rinse the starch off of it. Set aside.

In large pot I start the butter to melt. In a measuring cup I mix the flour and the 1/2 cup of milk. Add to the butter and stir with a whisk. Slowly add the 1 cup of milk and keep stirring with the whisk to keep it smooth. As it thickens add the Chevre and Curry Powder. Keep stirring til the chevre is all blended in. Slowly stir in the shredded cheeses until smooth and fully melted. Add the Cauliflower and the Pasta and Peas. Stir thoroughly and let simmer covered for 10 minutes.

I serve as a full meal. But you can make it a side dish too.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment