Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Recipe Thoughts

So I am totally nuts for Pinterest.com and love checking out recipes others have liked. I found one that sounds so good, but seemed like it would be pretty high in sodium. It's Zucchini Fries. Don't let the name fool you, they are not Fried but Baked. The thing I didn't like, they use Shake n' Bake to bread the Zucchini. Sorry, trying to go healthy and prepackaged breading that is fairly high in sodium won't cut it with me. So I read the box of Shake n' Bake. Instantly I saw Corn Meal, Flour, Minced Onion. This is where I went for my inspiration to create my own Shake n' Bake with no added Sodium. (Yes, at 280 mg, Shake n' Bake isn't as bad as some, but still, that's more than I want in my diet.) And a big concern for when cooking for my husband is whole grain, not refined flours. So I wanted to find Panko Crumbs that were Whole Wheat. I scored at Kroger in the Asian Section.

So this is what I put together tonight. I have not tested it on the Zucchini yet, but this is similar to what I do for Fried Chicken. So I know the flavor will be great.

Rose's Shake n' Bake:

1 cup - Whole Wheat or Brown Rice Flour

1 cup - Whole Wheat Panko (I found these in the Asian Section at Kroger)

1 cup - Corn Meal

2 Tblsp - Minced Onion

1 Tblsp - Parsley

1 Tblsp - Cumin

1 Tblsp - Smoked Paprika

1 Tblsp - Garlic Powder

1 tsp - Corriander

I put everything into a 1 gallon Ziplock bag and shook. This is great to make ahead and have for when you are wanting to cook on the fly. If you like things spicier, you can add Black Pepper, Chili or Red Pepper and for a more Italian flavor add Basil, Oregano and or Thyme.

I will post the Zucchini Fries recipe after I have made it. Probably will do this tomorrow night.


2 comments:

  1. I'm soooo hooked on Pinterest also!!! I've tried alot of recipes from there! Some were good and some were not so good! lol!

    I love the idea of making your own Shake n' Bake...very smart! I like to stay away from processed food as much as possible also. Did you make the fries yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillian,

      Yes, I did make the Fries. They came out okay, I need to slightly tweak the recipe. Of course I also forgot to put the pecorino romano in the coating mix so it lacked that cheese/saltiness. Just one of those days that I don't feel at my best and can't get my brain together. LOL
      I haven't done any creating lately, so I haven't posted anything new. I will soon.
      Rose

      Delete