Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mental Musings & a Nice Pork Chop recipe!

I am finally walking without assistance and feeling more stable. I am looking to get some good shoes to start doing a light amount of Zumba to continue losing weight and strengthen my whole body, not just my right leg. My brother gave me the training DVD's for a birthday present, but of course I couldn't do anything then because I was still in the cast and wheel chair. I have started using the starter disk just helping my brain to remember the dance steps. This is why I chose the Zumba for working out since I loved dancing when I was younger. So we will see how it goes.

So today it rain, not a little sprinkle but a big old, late winter soaker. Thankfully, it stopped around 2 in the afternoon. Some days, I love rain, but this has been such a wet winter I am really over it. Needless to say, I slept in. And when it came time to fix our dinner, I was having trouble getting inspired. Then I had a little nudge that pushed me to try something different and yet, not too much of a change.

Richard had picked up a Family Pack of Pork Chops the other night at the store. I divided the pack and put 4 of the chops in 2 vacuum seal storage bags in the freezer. The last two I put in the fridge. Richard said he would love chops today. So I stood and stared dumbly in the fridge for a few. I pulled out a zucchini and then said "nope" and put it back. I looked at the eggplant and decided I didn't have the time. I thought about spinach and saw we only had a small amount left. But we had a ton of cabbage. Richard really loves cabbage. 



Suddenly I thought about giving it a bit of a German Country flavor and I had Granny Smith Apples. And inspiration struck. I don't know if you have ever tried Apples with Cabbage, but it's a wonderful combination. Gives that slight tart flavor without being salty or too strong. Add some Rice and the pork chops cooked on the George Foreman Grill and voila, a simple and delicious meal that really took just 25 minutes between prep and cook time.

Grilled Pork Chops with Cabbage & Apples over Rice

2 Pork Chops (Season with Garlic Powder, Black Pepper & Meat Tenderizer)

1/2 head of Cabbage chopped up into medium sized pieces.

1 Granny Smith Apple, cored & sliced

1 Tblsp Anise Seeds, crush lightly with your fingers as you add to the cabbage.

1 Tblsp Oregano

1 Tblsp Oil (I used a nice Wok oil made with Safflower Oil infused with Lemon Grass and Thai Basil)

1 cup Brown Rice

2 cups Water

Salt to taste

First I seasoned the Pork Chops and set them aside.

Then I cut up the apple and put it in the Fry Pan with the Oil and let it start to cook on Med Heat. While this is starting to cook I cut up the Cabbage adding it right away. I added the Oregano and Anise Seed. And sprinkled just a bit of Lime Salt. Stirring a bit to get the apples turned so they don't burn. I covered with a lid and turned the heat down to Medium Low.

I put the water on to boil adding a small amount of Sea Salt to taste and added the rice. Since it takes brown rice longer to cook I add it before the water gets to a boil which helps to soften the hulls quicker.

At five minutes before time to serve I put the Pork Chops on the George Foreman Grill. They were nice and thin so they cook fast.

The Cabbage with Apples so complimented the Chops, I plan to do this again.
(Made this again, but forgot the Anise Seeds, added garlic and Green onion instead. Good, but missed the seeds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment