Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2 Dressings for Salads and More!

So, this week I started a "6 Week Body Makeover" plan. The program is found at http://www.provida.com. This program is really a way of changing the way you eat for your body type. For me, Body type A, I have to cut out all Salt, Oils, Fats, Refined or pre-processed products and no Dairy, no Red Meat. With my already limited diet due to food allergies, this is really limiting me on protiens I can have. Egg Whites, Chicken Breasts, and fish like Halibut are my choices for protiens. And since no Salt or Oil, that means no mayo or salad dressings. So I got online and looked for recipes. I found two that sounded interesting but they were not truly complete. They left out measurements. So I did some playing with the ingredients and this is what I came up with.

To replace Salsa, Ketchup, etc I now make:

Roasted Pepper Dressing:

Ingredients:

1 Roasted Red Pepper (skinned)
1/2 Roasted Yellow Pepper (skinned)
5 cloves of Roasted Garlic (Instead of using oil I put a bit of Basalmic Vinegar on the garlic before roasting it. Flavor is great.)
3 - Plum Tomatoes - diced
tsp - Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
1/2 tsp - Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 Cup - Basalmic Vinegar

Was Peppers and place on baking sheet.
Clean the Garlic Bulb of outer paper skin and cut the top just a bit to reveal the cloves. Drizzle with a small amount of the Basalmic Vinegar. Wrap in aluminum foil making a pouch.

Roast the peppers and garlic in a 350 degree oven. You will need to turn the peppers at least once.
Remove Peppers after 20 minutes. Let Garlic Roast for another 20 minutes until it's soft.

Put the Peppers right from the oven into a container and cover to sweat them. After about 10 minutes you can take them out and the skin peels off very easily. Once peeled cut up removing the seeds and put into a food processor. Add the cloves of roasted garlic, the tomatoes and all spices and blend until almost smooth. Add the Vinegar and put in a container. This is a wonderful sauce for topping chicken or fish. I love it for a bit of a kick in my salads too.

You can refrigerate for about a week.

I made extra peppers when I did this and the other peppers and the rest of the garlic I cut into smallish slices and put into a container with a bit more vinagar. I use this in my egg white omlets.

The other sauce is more a salad dressing and also a great fish marinade.

Cilantro Lime Dressing:

1 cup Fresh Cilantro roughly chopped
2 Limes Juiced & Zested
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tblsp Fine Herbs (I get this herb blend at Fresh Market)
3 Cloves Roasted Garlic (see above recipe)
2 pkgs Stevia (I use one I get at Whole Foods, but Truvia works)
I added about 2 oz water to make it a better salad dressing.

Mix all ingredients in the food processor. Store in a well sealed container.

This is a nice topping for chicken dishes too. But fabulous on fish.

As I get further into this diet I will add more recipes. And I will update pictures as I lose weight.
Here is my "BEFORE" Picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment