Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mango Teriyaki

So we have this terrific diner in Richmond called Silver Diner. They make really great food and as Mom would say, the best Chocolate Milkshake in Richmond. Since I can't try the milkshake I will have to take her word for it. But they believe in locally grown and organic foods. Which for a diner is awesome. For me, my favorite dish is this wonderful veggie pasta with Mango that they serve. I usually have them add shrimp since I like the seafood.

Well, the other day I thought I bet I can make something similar. We had Mangos 10 for $10 at Kroger so Richard bought me a few. Same with Broccoli. So I sat down and started cutting lots of veggies and 2 mangos up. Richard thought I was going a bit nuts with the veggies, but he had to admit, the final meal was fantastic. So here is my version of the Silver Diner Dish, with a few variations. Just remember, there is a Whole lotta choppin' goin' on here!

Mango Teriyaki

1 head of Broccoli - diced into 1 inch pieces
1 cup of baby Carrots, julienned
4 large stalks Celery, cleaned and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
10 Shiitake Mushrooms, julienned
1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
1/2 cup of fresh Cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup of Radichio, julienned
2 Mangos, diced
1 cup of shrimp
3 Tblsp Teriyaki
1/2 Lemon Juiced
2 Tblsp Wok Oil (Safflower infused with Thai Basil and Lemon Grass)
1 Tblsp Agave Syrup
Whole Grain Pasta (I used Spaghetti made with Whole Wheat this time, though I prefer Rice Pasta best)

I heated the wok and added the oil, lemon juice and agave. Once hot I added the broccoli, Carrots, Celery first. After they had cooked 3 minutes I added the Sugar Snap Peas. I put the lid on for just a bit to give these a chance to soften.

While the lid was on the veggies, I started the water boiling for the pasta. I know once I add the last ingredients and the shrimp I won't want to let it cook too long, so the pasta needs to be ready.

Once the Broccoli and Peas appear soft enough to poke with a fork I add the Cilantro, Radichio, Mangos and Shrimp with the Teriyaki Sauce.

When the Noodles are cooked, remove from the water and serve right away. This dish made enough for about 5 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment