Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Updates from Florida!


While here in St. Petersburg, FL this week, I am looking into where I can find all the cheeses, and healthier food options like I have found in Richmond. Well, look out Richmond, Florida has you beat!

I have been exploring stores and restaurants.

So far I have had the most incredible Lebanese food at Beirut Cafe on Park Street just before 54th Avenue. Their Spinach Pie and Stuffed Grape Leaves are incredible and the Babaganouj is out of this world.
(My babaganouj, grape leaves and Tabouleh with the Spinach Pie hiding behind my water.)

The owner is the sweetest lady, Hanaa. I can not wait to go back and try her Shawarma and maybe a Meat Pie or or Beef Kabob.

I also got to eat at Sweet Sage on North Redington Beach while out with Alice, (my brother's Mother in Law). This is a dog friendly restaurant with a large, jungle like patio area and yes, a menu for the dogs. Uno had scrambled eggs with Cheese for $3.
















I had a Stuffed Tomato with Seafood Salad (loaded with real Lobster and Crab) and fresh fruit too all for $10.49.
Alice, she is a doll at 97 years young, had a House Salad, which was fancier than any house salad elsewhere. Even though it was blazing hot outside, it was nice and comfortable in that back area.

















 They even brought Uno a dish for icewater. So we were all comfy.
(Uno waiting for his next bite. It was hot and fresh, so I cut his cheesy eggs up and had fed him.)

On the shopping front, I was amazed that Publix had a store brand of Feta that was True Feta, made with Sheep Milk. I was practically dancing with glee. And their selection of goat cheeses was pretty good. They also carry Manchego. The store I was in is the newer one on 66th Street near Tyrone Mall. It is a 2 story store, with parking underneath. I wish all groceries were like this. I don't know how many times I have left a store to pouring rain or snow and wished I didn't have to hazard a parking lot in that weather and load my car.

I also made it to the new Trader Joe's in St. Petersburg on 4th Street, just south of 30th Avenue North. (Best way to get there as when you turn off 30th to head towards Downtown, you will find that Trader Joe's just a block up on the right hand side.) They of course have a great Cheese selection, wonderful produce and more. My friend found Chocolate Wine there. She said it was darn tasty. I get several varieties of Goat and Sheep Cheeses there as well as my Plain Goat Yogurt. They have a goat Cheddar that I really love. I made myself several Grilled Cheese Sandwiches this week.

And the real gem of my shopping excursions took me to South Pasadena on Gulfport Blvd. Spiro's Family Restaurant and Deli. In that delightful deli they have Manouri Cheese. That is the marvelous cheese that I use to make my cheesecakes. It is a Sheepmilk Cream Cheese. And yes, I bought some. They also had a great price on Chevre, Haloumi (the grilling cheese) and Kashkaval. I noticed 2 other Sheep Cheeses over in the deli case where they will sell you the whole wheel or cut to order. They also had some fabulous homemade breads and I got a Dark Whole Grain loaf loaded with Caraway Seeds on top.

My Grilled Cheese sandwiches have consisted of this wonderful bread, Goat Gouda from Trader Joe's, Kashkaval and Goat Cheddar.
 I added some precooked bacon in the middle for that added smoky flavor. Cause we all know everything is better with bacon, right!?! (LOL I ate the first part of the sandwich before I remembered to take a pic. It's just that good.)

So more later. I am off to explore some more. And tonight I am going to an Ethiopean Restaurant in Tampa with friends. I will let you know how I like The Queen of Sheba. My first time eating this type of food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment