Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Repost of recipe for my Corned Beef with Brussels Sprouts

 This recipe was inspired when I found Brussels Sprouts on the stem. They were beautiful and I bought 2 stalks. I don't know if you have ever seen how they grow, but that long stalk is totally loaded down with little green heads that look like mini cabages. I swear there were about 50+ sprouts on each stalk. What to do with that many Brussel Sprouts? Well, besides my usual dish that is. And then it hit me, Corned Beef in the Crock Pot with carrots, an Onion diced up and about as many Brussel Sprouts as I could make fit. They worked so much better than cabbage and the flavor was fabulous. I have the Hamilton Beach 2/4/6 quart Crock Pot. For this dish I used the 6 quart.

Corned Beef & Brussels Sprouts in Crock Pot
1 corned beef brisket w/seasoning packet
1 bag of baby carrots
1 large sweet onion diced
1 frozen cube of garlic (1 tsp) (I bought these at Trader Joe's)
2 frozen cubes of basil (2 tsp)
Pinch of fennel seeds
About 50+ Brussel Sprouts
2 cups of water

Clean and dice the onion and put in crock pot. I add half the carrots to the bottom of the pot.

I then opened the package with the Brisket and put the meat in the crock with the fat side down. I add the water in the bag to get the juice from the brisket and pour into the crock over the meat. Then I open the small seasoning package and pour it in too. I add the 3 frozen cubes of garlic and basil and the fennel seeds. I then add the rest of the carrots and all the cleaned brussel sprouts.

Put the lid on and allow to cook on High for 2 hours. Turn the meat over immersing the brussel sprouts and continue cooking on High for another hour.

Turn down to Low and continue cooking for at least another hour. (Even better if you let it cook another 2 hours.)

I cooked whole wheat egg noodles to serve the corned beef over. I also took the juice from the crock pot and put it into a small pot on the stove and added brown rice flour to thicken and make a nice gravy.

** Side Note:

This dish is excellent with homemade spƤtzle's. I think I have posted the recipe before, but if not I will find and post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment