Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup

So today I decided to do something with that lovely head of broccoli I had in the fridge. I had finally gone to Whole Foods and had Goat Yogurt and some good Goat and Sheep Milk Cheeses. I was ready to cook something yummy and one of my more favorite "comfort foods".

Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup!

3 cups (1 large head) - Broccoli - cut into small pieces
1 cup - Celery - chopped
3 cups - Chicken Stock (No Salt Added if on salt free diet)
9 Large Cloves Garlic - Chopped
1 Tblsp - Smoked Paprika
1 tsp - Cumin
1 tsp - Lime Sea Salt (Optional, again leave out if on salt free diet)
2 cups Cheese Grated (I mixed Goat Mozzarella, Sheep Manchego & Naked Goat)
1 cup - Goat Yogurt
2 cups Goat Milk
1/2 cup Rice Flour

First in my Dutch Oven I put the cut up broccoli, celery, garlic and spices with the chicken stock on medium heat. When it starts to lightly boil I turned the heat down and let cook for 45 minutes. When the broccoli is tender to a fork I got out my stick blender and carefully mixed everything until mostly smooth. You will have some small bits of the florets still, but the stems will go totally creamy smooth.

Set the stick blender aside for further blending.

Add the rice flour with some goat milk til smooth and then add to the hot broccoli mix in the Dutch Oven. Stir until the Broccoli soup starts to thicken. Then add the milk and goat yogurt and keep stirring. I then started adding the cheese a little bit at a time. Stir slowly and keep adding the cheese until creamy smooth. If needed go ahead and use the stick blender again to remove any lumps.

Turn the heat to low and let simmer with the lid on for another 15 minutes, stir occasionally. This allows the soup to thicken a bit more.

I ate this as is, Richard added crackers. The cumin and smoked paprika gave this the nice warm flavor and it was so creamy and yummy. Once again, comfort food extrordinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment