Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Monday, March 17, 2008

Recipe for Baked Beans

Ok, so I didn't get to make my Mac n' Cheese yesterday. Opened cabinet to find there was no pasta left to make it with. And since cheese sauce without the pasta is just Cheese I didn't cook. But this morning I woke up craving Baked Beans the way Aunt P used to make them for me.

Now I know, beans are on my allergy list since they do have tryptophan, but I really crave them sometimes. And besides, Richard loves them. So I bought 3 cans of red beans a few weeks ago just for this purpose. I carefully rinsed them and set to drain. Then I cut up a whole vidalia onion, and 3 cloves of garlic added them with a diced up hunk of salt pork and 1 oz of goat butter in a cast iron pot. I cooked this for several minutes until the onions had gotten lightly browned and then I dumped the beans in.

I stirred this up for a bit before adding 1/4 cup of honey, 1 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 3 tbsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tbsp cloves, 2 tbsp paparika, 1 tbsp mustard powder, 1 small can of tomato paste and stirred well. I also added 1/2 can of crushed pineapple drained. When this reaches a slow boil I turned the heat down to low and let it simmer covered for 3 hours at least.

These are the best beans ever, sweet and lightly spicy with a delightful sauce. The salt pork seasons them incredibly well.

Tonight I will also make Corned Beef and Cabbage along with boiled potatoes to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Yes, the luck of the Irish I hope will be with me and I pray it will be with all of you too.

I will give you my recipes tonight for the good Irish dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment