Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Quick where to Find!


Like I said, I have to get creative to make dishes I can eat that still taste great. I love figuring out how to make something that tastes as good or better than the original dish and that I can safely eat. My favorite is using a cheese called "Manouri" which is a Greek Sheep Milk Cheese.
"Manouri is a traditional ancient Greek cheese that is made from the whey of feta, blended with sheep's milk cream. In addition to being used in the traditional Greek delicacy spanakopita, this rindless log-shaped cheese is an exceptionally delicious eating cheese. With a moist, soft texture, Manouri is at first soft and buttery, followed by a uniquely lemony aftertaste.
Made from pasteurized sheep's milk."

I get a laugh every time I say the name of this cheese cause face it, it's not flattering and sounds like something you use to fertilize your garden. But in reality, it is a nice, slightly dry cream cheese that is very delectable in flavor. I get this at a Russian / International Food store on Gaskins Road in the West End of Richmond. There are actually two locations there now, one in a white building just across from the cemetary on Gaskins (Near corner of Patterson Road). The other is owned by a very sweet younger Polish couple in Gayton Crossing near the Good Food's Health Food Store.

At Good Food's I get Goat Butter, and several very nice Goat Cheeses. A Cheddar and Jack Cheese with Sun dried tomates. Very flavorful. They are a great location for exotic honey and a sweetener that I like to use in tea made from the Honey Leaf Stevia plant. It's a natural sweetener that is 40x's sweeter than sugar. It can be used for baking and we will get into that later.

UPDATE: I have found this in St. Petersburg at Spiro's Restaurant and Deli, 6801 Gulfport Blvd S, South Pasadena, FL 33707 (727) 384-0750. It has gone up a bit in price over the years, but what hasn't right? It is now just over $8 per pound. But well worth it. They also have several other varieties of Sheep and Goat milk cheeses as well as a gorgeous deli and fresh produce market. So for Florida friends, you have choices.

Online, I have found one fairly good source for interesting cheeses from all over the world as well as other exotic foods. They have a store front on Amazon.com as well as their own site. The store is called IGourmet.com. I get sheep ricotta and other specialty cheeses from them. And if you can find it, there are some great exotic sea salts that are lower in sodium but great for flavor. My favorite is pink salt from Hawaii. I heard about it on one of the Food Network shows that I watch, East Meets West was the name of the show.

I will be making my Macaroni and Cheese tonight. So that will be the first recipe I post here. Hope you enjoy!
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment