Meetup.com Meetup Invite

RSVP

Monday, November 17, 2014

Beef and Potato Cheese Soup

It has been forever since I posted. I have to admit, with not having a home and staying with a friend for a few months I hadn't been cooking much. I am now settling into the Duplex I am renting. My new kitchen is small, so I haven't done a ton of cooking. But with cold weather here, I really felt like making myself a nice soup. I had gone to the store for other supplies, and right up front was a display for Campbell's Soup. The new Steak and Baked Potato Cheese Soup sat there evilly tempting me. Of course I can't eat it, with all the cow's milk in it. So I headed on to get the cleaning supplies when it hit me, I have a good supply of cheeses right now, why not make my own.

So I bought a nice package of lean stew beef. I got some Idaho Potatoes and then thought, I would like to make this healthier, some other veggies would really round this out nicely. So I got Parsnips and Carrots to put in the soup.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb Lean Stew Meat
2 Large Idaho Potatoes (partially peeled and diced into 1/2 pieces)
2 large Parsnips (Also peeled and diced)
10 baby carrots cut into 1 inch chunks (makes about 30 pieces of carrot)
2 cloves of Garlic (riced)
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
Season to taste: (I used Hawaiian Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Cumin, Red Curry Powder)
Wine or Wine Vinegar
Water

First thing I used my RockCrok Dutch Oven to heat 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil and added 2 cloves of Garlic that I Riced with the Garlic Press and then started adding the beef which I had lightly coated with brown rice flour seasoned with Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Cumin, Red Curry Powder. I turned the meat frequently until lightly browned all over and the oil had been absorbed by the flour. I then added a 1/3 cup of White Wine Vinegar. (I don't drink, so did not have wine on hand.) I added carrots, and diced parsnip and 2 Idaho Potatoes that I had partially peeled and diced up to 1/2 inch chunks. I added a cup of water and set to low heat to simmer for 45 minutes. Then I added 1/3 cup of Chevre, 1 cup of goat Yogurt and 2 cups of shredded Manchego Cheese and 1/3 cup of Pecorino Romano. I crumbled in a small amount of Sheep's milk Ricotta Ensalada which doesn't melt, but gives these lovely little slightly salty cheesy morsels while eating the soup.

I allowed this to cook at low for another 20 minutes until all the vegetables were tender.

This made a nice, stick to the bones kind of cold weather soup. The flavor is rich with a bit of sourness, sort of like a Stroganoff. And there is no cow's milk, no soy and no gluten in this homemade recipe. Win-win,

No comments:

Post a Comment